It was Sunday night and I forgot to take chicken out of the freezer. Weekend nights are supposed to an opportunity to be creative and to make meals that take more time and effort to expand my cooking knowledge. Tonight, I partially thawed some boneless skinless chicken breasts and use a sharp knife to thinly slice them, thinking I would do a stir fry. After slicing up the chicken, I did a 360 and decided to do a Baked Chicken Nugget with a Panko Crust, a version I saw on Pintrest a few weeks back. The chicken at this point was sliced versus a nugget, but should still work.
I dunk the chicken in beaten eggs and coat in panko crumbs – super easy and ready for the oven. I lined a cookie sheet with parchment paper and baked at 450 degrees for about 20 minutes.
While the chicken was cooking, I made the sauce. Again, super easy. Organic Blue Agave, Lite Soy Sauce, minced garlic and some Sriracha Sauce, bring to a boil stir until thickened.
I served the sauce on the side and dipped the nuggets. In the future, I would love to double the sauce and coat the nuggets and serve boneless wing style.
Rating: Excellent. Tasted like TGIFriday’s Sesame Jack Chicken Strips – could be an opportunity to be a knock off recipe.
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts. cut into 2 inch nuggets
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup of blue agave
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 2-3 tablespoons of sirrahca (to taste)
- 2-3 garlic cloves - minced
- Dip chicken pieces in beaten eggs (salt and pepper if desired) and lightly coat with panko crumbs. Place chicken on aluminum foil lined baking sheet and place in a pre-heated 450 degree oven. Bake 20 minutes or until done.
- While chicken is cooking, mix soy sauce, agave, garlic, stir until heavy boil. Turn down heat medium low and continue cooking until slightly thickened. 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside until chicken is done. Dip chicken in sauce or coat entirely.