I have fresh basil coming out of my eyeballs. There are only so many Basil Gimlets a girl can drink! I need to make a big batch of pesto and quick. I’ve blogged it before, my family loves shrimp. Me, not so much, I have already established that I don’t like shrimp in pasta dishes. Therefore I am going for “Grilled Shrimp with a Basil Pesto Sauce.” Wish me luck.
I never knew how easy pesto was to make until I watched my friend Bobbii whip some up quickly while we were enjoying a glass of wine. Just need the ingredients and a food processor.
My recipe for Basil Pesto is a guesstamate of ingredients. I just added until it tasted right!
- 2 lbs of shrimp (peeled)
- 1-2 cups of fresh basil (packed)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1-2 tablespoons of lemon juice (i used 1 fresh squeezed lemon)
- ¼ cup of parmigiano reggiano cheese
- 2-4 tbl of olive oil (i used a little extra to get consistency needed)
- 2-4 tbl pine nuts (i toasted mine first since I had the time)
- Pulse basil, lemon juice, pine nuts, olive oil and salt and pepper (if needed) in a food processor until smooth. May have to add more liquids (lemon juice or olive oil to get texture needed depending on amount of basil used.).
- Marinate the shrimp in pesto for 20 min (overnight would be best). I used a gallon size Ziploc bag in fridge.
- Soak bamboo skewers in water for at least 30 minutes before adding shrimp to keep from burning on grill.
- Grill medium high heat for 2-3 minutes per side until cooked.