Last week, when making Breakfast Pizza, I decided to also make some Egg Muffins. My mother-in-law has Alzheimer’s and lives with us. She is no longer comfortable using the stove or even the microwave (which is a blessing in disguise), however, it has increasing become a challenge to find quick, easy, nutritious food she can eat while we are gone during the day.
Since, she loves eggs (breakfast is her favorite meal of the day) and doesn’t have a cholesterol problem, I try to have hard-boiled ones in the fridge at all times. Like the breakfast pizza, I thought I’d mix it up for her and pre-make single serve scrambled eggs. I could heat them up in the microwave quick before I left in the morning, or she could eat the cold throughout the day.
- 12 eggs -scrambled
- ½ cup spinach - chopped
- ½ red pepper - diced
- ½ onion - diced
- ½ cup of cheese (I used Gruyere - yum)
- ½ package of Jimmy Dean's ground sausage
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a muffin tin (12 cups)
- Cook sausage on stove top - per directions
- Add all the veggies and sausage to the scrambled eggs and mix
- Add ⅓ cup to each muffin cup and top with cheese
- Bake 20 minutes - or until toothpick comes out clean
- Store in refrigerator.
I started with 12 eggs. I have never made before and had no idea how much would fill a tin. Do not overfill (about 1/3 cup only). I learned the hard way – they tasted the same, but looked funny!
This recipe was super fun, super easy. I mixed up the veggies and made some with spinach, some without, made a variety to choose from. She loved having something different! Now, I have to make them again.