My mother-in-law loves bananas. I mean really loves bananas. She doesn’t cook any more or even use the microwave and bananas are a quick, easy, healthy option. When I’m at the store, I always grab a bunch and yet it seems like I am always out.
Sunday morning, I realize she has stopped eating bananas and they are piling up. I really need to make something with these today. Banana pancakes? Banana bread? Banana smoothie? I decide to go with Banana muffins. The last muffins I made were flourless, so this time, I went more traditional.
In addition to the bananas, I had some raspberries and blueberries that needed to be used and I found a stray package of cream cheese leftover from holiday baking. Expiration was March, but I took the opportunity to use it now, I may not have a second chance.
I used 4 bananas, didn’t measure but guessing it was about 2 cups, maybe a little more. I used my KitchenAid stand to mix together bananas, softened butter and eggs. I added baking soda and baking powder, mixed then added the flour. Batter was pretty sticky, but I didn’t want to over flour or over mix (best thing ever..they were fluffy and moist).
I sprayed my muffin paper with oil before filling (thanks for the tip mom). I filled about 1/3 of the cup with batter then added a small scoop of my cream cheese mix (40z cream cheese softened, 1 tablespoon agave and 1 splash of vanilla extract). I topped some with blueberries and some with raspberries. You can mix the fruit in the batter, but I wanted to make some of each. Then I added a scoop of the banana batter on top of that, securing all the goodness in the middle!
I baked at 325 degrees for about 35-40minutes. They were pretty big, so I adjusted the heat down and let cook longer.
I made 12 so we could have leftovers, but they were gone before lunch!
- 4 ripe bananas - smashed
- 1 stick of unsalted butter - softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2½ cups of flour
- 4 oz cream cheese - softened
- 1 tablespoon agave (or honey)
- splash of vanilla extract
- handful of blueberries
- handful of raspberries
- In a stand mixer, combine bananas, butter and eggs until well mixed.
- add baking power and baking soda and mix well.
- add flour until combined, do not over mix.
- Line a muffin tin with paper cups and spray with oil ( or you can omit the cup and just spray the tin).
- Fill cup about ⅓ full with banana batter, then add a small scoop of the cream cheese mixture (combine cream cheese, vanilla and honey until blended). Add raspberries and blueberries if desired and top with more banana batter.
- Bake in preheated oven at 325 for 35-40 min or until done.